Whenever you think of guns, you think of an emergency. Why else would you need to use one? Given its nature, it is very dangerous to keep it in sight of children or strangers—you never know what they might do with it. On the other hand, you cannot possibly keep it too far away from yourself either—what if you run into a situation where you need to use it?
For this very reason, one needs a safe box to put their weapons in so that they can be used in case of an emergency while also ensuring it does not get into the wrong hands. One such place where most people like to hide their guns is in their car, to be safe and armed in case of a robbery. However, you cannot keep it in your unlocked dashboard, in plain sight, or in too locked a place where you yourself cannot access it. Fortunately, products such as a vehicle gun safe and gun lock box for car are easily available, affordable, and accessible.
Here, in this article, we will review five of the best car handgun safe for your vehicle. Without further delay, here it goes:
GunVault Microvault Standard Digital Pistol Safe MV500-STD
The MV500-STD is a brilliant product from GunVault, an already reputable and reliable name in the firearm security industry. The MV500-STD is a fairly new model in a wide range of car gun safes from GunVault, and, already, the overwhelmingly positive reviews have started flowing in. This model is sleek and sturdy. Its dimensions are 11 inches x 8.5 inches x 2.25 inches, and it weighs 4 pounds, which means that it is easily portable and can be carried to your car. Due to its design, you can also keep it in any place that is most easily accessible to you. It also has a durable cable that can be moved around without breaking.
Although lightweight, this high-quality product is difficult to pry open by anyone due to its 20-gauge steel exterior construction. The access code is unique to you, and it also has a No-Eyes Keypad system that is tamperproof and through which only the authorized user will be able to unlock the safe in daylight and the dark. The MV500-STD is an overall compact, robust, and reliable auto gun safe in which you can easily fit your pistol and carry it from one place to another anywhere in your car.
Finally, this model is also very affordable, has great value for money, and is a worthy investment for the luxury and comfort that it provides.
- Ease of use and accessibility.
- Sturdy and reliable cable.
- Tamper-proof keypad system.
- Compact and portable.
- Has two keys as backup options to open the safe.
- One of the ways in which the product can be improved is to make it fire retardant and waterproof. That way, it can be even more secure from factors other than a robbery, like fires or flooding, for example.
VAULTEK VT20i Biometric Handgun
The Vaultek VT20i gun safe is a very technologically advanced product that deserves to be on the list of top five automobile gun safe. Its key feature is its use of modern technology with so much ease and accessibility. People were keenly waiting for a high-quality, quick access system for gun safes, which they are sure to have found in this Vaultek VT20i. It is laden with multiple locking systems and technologies. For example, it is equipped with an anti-theft protection mechanism that contains anti-pry bars, two-point anti-impact latches, and interior hinges (which are mounted).
It also has many access systems—the keypad, a biometric fingerprint scanner, and backup keys with a concealed key slot. The responsive keypad has LED backlighting, due to which you can easily see and access the keypad. There is also a fingerprint scanner to help with even quicker access in case of emergencies. Vaultek VT20i Biometric Bluetooth has an all innovative system that features and makes use of smart safe technology.
The safe controls can be accessed from the Bluetooth app to check battery status and level, view the safe’s history log, detect any ill action or tampering with the keypad and biometric system, change sound toggles or LED controls, etc.
Moreover, the product is made from a carbon steel body, which prevents corrosion and other defects that arise from extended use of the product. It is a heavy-duty gun safe that is coated with powder to provide long time reliability and protection. Furthermore, it is compact and can be easily portable with dimensions of 11.5 inches x 9 inches x 2.625 inches. Finally, it comes with a steel cable system on which you can mount the device to keep it in your sight and still out of reach. The biometric system can store up to 20 different fingerprint data, appealing to those with a partner when using a gun safe. Overall, it is a very reliable and durable gun safe that provides maximum security and quick access.
- Smart technology makes it much safer.
- The biometric system can store up to 20 fingerprints, so it is convenient for multiple people who are trusted to access it.
- Resistant to prying.
- The biometric system can take a lot of seconds to scan your fingerprint, which makes it a quick access issue rather than a point of contention. It looks like they may still have to get the technology right.
- One other drawback is that due to the smart safe technology and Bluetooth connectivity, the battery of the device is heavily consumed and needs frequent recharging.
SentrySafe QAP1BE Gun Safe
This SentrySafe is highly durable and affordable and will last you a long time, owing to its sturdy steel construction, multiple unlocking systems, and advanced protection. The SentrySafe QAP1BE gun safe is equipped with a biometric and fingerprint scanner for advanced protection and quick access simultaneously. This gun safe can be used at home as well as kept in the car. It has a gas strut, through which it can quietly and safely unlocked for single-handed access to the handgun.
Furthermore, the construction is robust and reliable—made from solid steel and a pry-resistant door for non-tampering and maximum security. It also contains a manual keypad as well as an override key for backup. Its dimensions are 9.9 inches x 12.1 inches x 3.2 inches, and it weighs 12 pounds. Its dual locking system is brilliant and has several backup options for you, in case the main one does not work. This multiplicity of options is what makes this model of SentrySafe a very reliable option to use.
- The sturdy steel construction of the SentrySafe allows it to be highly durable.
- Has several unlocking backups in the case that one doesn’t work, making it a reliable safe.
- It works with AA batteries that do not need frequent recharging.
- It can be used at home, keeping you feeling safe and relaxed.
- One of the key drawbacks of this safe is its large dimension and weight. It weighs heavier than most other car gun safes at 12 pounds. It may not be the ideal choice for many people to bring it with them in their car.
Amazon Basics Quick-Access Firearm Safety Device
This product is from Amazon itself in their Amazon Basics category. It is easily available and affordable. It is equipped with quick access firearm protection and safety, in which you can store handguns, pistols, and other valuables and documents.
It features a programmable electronic keypad with rubber buttons for quiet and single-handed access with an automatic opening door. Furthermore, it contains a backup key to use in case of emergencies for even quicker access. In this way, it is easily and quickly accessible to the authorized individual without alerting the robber or any other dangerous persons.
The product material is made up of 16-gauge powder-coated steel, which provides resistance against corrosion and keeps the device robust as well as durable, providing long-lasting protection and security. The item’s weight is reasonably large, weighing about 8.5 pounds. It also has pre-drilled holes and hardware for floor mounting.
It is portable and compact, although not as much as the top two gun safes mentioned. However, when you look at the overall quality of the safe for its price, it turns out to be a worthy investment and a reliable gain in terms of luxury and comfort. It is easily one of the best pistol safes available and is also in an affordable price range.
- It can be kept in the car as well as used inside the home.
- It also features multiple accessibility systems adding to its reliability and ease of use, even in case of emergencies.
- The sturdy and robust construction provides long-lasting functionality, making it an investment rather than a one-time purchase.
- The pre-drilled holes are also available to easily mount it to a secure place.
- The keypad is convenient and reliable.
- If you aren’t savvy with technology this gun safe proves to be very useful due to little to no use of high-tech features.
- Amazon Basics gun safe is another run-of-the-mill gun safe with no high-tech features. It is simple, and even though it does its work, the other mentioned safes protect guns better.
Hornady Lockbox for Guns and Valuables
Hornady Lockbox is a highly portable and reliable vehicle handgun safe, which can easily be used in cars. It is small and weighs just about 6 pounds. It can only be opened through a barrel key lock, and it features tamper-proof 16-gauge steel construction with a 3-foot steel security cable that protects it against prying hands. Furthermore, it has a unique and patented cable receiver, which allows it maximum storage space. It has protective foam on the inside. It also contains a pry-resistant security band and a barrel key lock.
- It is resistant to prying or tampering with its robust construction.
- It has quite a bit of storage space, so you can easily store your handgun in it, in addition to other valuable items as well.
- For people who do not like to rely on technology at all, this can be the ideal gun lock box for car.
- One of the bad things about this lockbox is that it only has a single system of unlocking, which can cause a hassle in emergencies if the lock doesn’t work.
- It does not feature any kind of technology and is highly mechanical.
Buying Guide for Car Safes
Things you should consider while buying car safes:
- Size of the Safe: Ideally, you want a safe that can fit easily inside your car and be hidden from the intruder/robber while also being conveniently accessible to you.
- Security System: The other thing to consider is to check whether its locking system is feasible. Here, you will have to consider what suits you best—electronic or manual?
What are gun safes made of?
Gun safes are usually made of durable, heavy-duty metals such as steel that are difficult to pry or hammer open.
What are the types of locking systems?
There are two kinds: electronic, in which there is the option of either a biometric fingerprint, face unlocking, or keypad/pin. The other is manual, where you can unlock the safe by inserting a key.
Overall, all of these car gun safes, with different styles and technologies, do their job the best. It is up to you to choose the most appropriate one according to your preferences. For people who do not shy away from tech, VT20i may be the best pistol safe. For those who are not as tech-savvy, however, the Hornady lock box may be the best choice. In any case, you are sure to have found the best car gun safe for you on this list.